Sunday, January 18, 2009

When I finish packing ... yeah, right!

Today's the day. That dreaded, horrible day. That day when I have to kiss my comfortable spot on the couch (about 45% sarcasm) goodbye and head back to school. Admittedly, these month-long winter breaks are pretty sweet, but I have absolutely NO idea where my break went. I feel like I just arrived home for break last week. 

But, of course, I haven't finished packing. And I'm missing two of my textbooks that were [supposedly] shipped here. Granted, the class required like six or seven (which, if you ask me, is just flipping ridiculous) of the little buggers, so OF COURSE I was bound to lose one or two. It's just the Law of Probability! Meh, whatever. I'll find them while I'm packing (I hope). 

By the way, not-so-great news on the laptop front. In case you haven't heard, I've been experiencing spots on my laptop screen for a while now. I thought they were dead pixels, because they're incredibly miniscule. Small enough that for a very long time, I mistook them for particularly stubborn dust particles. So I thought to myself, "Self, your computer IS still under warranty, and SURELY this is a warranty repair!" So off I go to the Apple Store back in like February '08. Sure enough, the genius (that's seriously what their repair guys are called - they work at the "Genius Bar") who looked at my machine said "Yup, that's a defect all right, we can repair that under warranty, but we'll have to ship it out." Of course, I was only home for the weekend, and the thought of being without my beloved laptop for that long (especially since I couldn't get in back for like two weeks) was absolutely terrifying. So I thanked him and said I'd be back some other time. So this Christmas break comes around (don't ask me why I didn't do it over the summer - I have no idea) and I take it into the Genius bar, tell them to pull up the case file (which they do), and sure enough, the guy says it's under warranty still. 

Here's where it gets nasty — while I was waiting for the next opportunity to bring my laptop in, I dropped it at some point, putting a nasty little dent in one of the corners. Guess what that means ... it's no longer a warranty repair. When the computer was sent off to the guys at the repair center, they called and said that they had tested my screen and it was "bruising", not "dying", which apparently is a very important distinction. So important, in fact, that it means the difference of me paying nothing at all and paying $1300 to get the whole darned thing fixed. 

I told him "no thank you, I'll just live with a bruising computer." ... or something like that. 

Gah. Applecare, you have officially let me down. *Sadface*. 

Now that I've wasted enough time, I guess it's probably time for me to start working on that whole "packing" business again. 

Blech. 

3 comments:

  1. Holy Moly. Couldn't you just get a whole new laptop for 1300? What a bummer, Zeke. I can imagine how frustrating that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm w/ Laurie - new laptop? I am such a packing procrastinator too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a new laptop, actually. But unfortunately, my laptop was a smidge shy of $3000 when we bought it, and I would only want to replace it with something that was just as fast and spacious. I managed to reinstall the operating system so it's now moving MUCH faster (knocks frantically on all wood in sight), but I'm worried it'll go kaput before I can build up the funds to replace it. Besides, I shouldn't need to for at least another year!

    ReplyDelete