Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Zekiel Party's Official Platform

In three words?

Complete, Abject Apathy.

I have discovered why it is that "my" generation really doesn't give a rat's posterior about politics. Why they're really not interested in discussing the issue with those who are. Why, for that matter, they really don't care to even vote. Know what that reason is?

It's People Who Do Care.

Let me get it out in the open now: Yeah, I voted for Obama. And frankly, I'm perfectly at peace with my choice. In four years, you all can come back and we'll discuss whether his presidency was successful or not. But right now, I'm not interested—it's all just speculation anyway. So just save your breath.

But you know what? I voted. I participated in our democratic system, and for that much, I am relatively proud. At this point, however, I have entered into that relatively blissful state of Youth Political Apathy. Why, you ask? Because I'm SO tired of hearing about (a) my vote; (b) speculation over whether his campaign promises will be upheld; (c) party affiliations; and (d) politics in general. Yes, I'll come out and say it: it's the OTHER generations of voters who are largely responsible for MY generation's apathy. Not to say that my generation gets off scot free for its apathy, but I REFUSE to believe that it is entirely at fault. The frustration that my generation feels at being coerced into participation in the political system followed by strict criticism of their participation is DIRECTLY causal to its resulting apathy.

Let me explain this idea of voting to everyone: we choose the candidates we do because we agree with [most of] their stances. Unfortunately, we live in a country that is essentially controlled by TWO parties in a remarkably BIPOLAR system. In fact, most voters do not *actually* identify COMPLETELY with one party or another, but instead are moderates. Guess what, though: there's no such thing as the "Moderate Party." We're stuck picking one of two very different set of values, some of which we will inherently disagree with.

You likely voted McCain because you felt HE best represented the views that you cared most about. Have you stopped to consider that maybe I have just as good a reason for voting Obama? That perhaps there are issues that *I* find important that *I* felt Obama best represented? Likely, no, you haven't. I will be the first to admit that yes, Obama has some very upsetting views about some things. I DO disagree with his stance on Iraq, and I DO largely disagree with his stance on abortion. Those are things that are unfortunately just part of the package. But, historically speaking, most democratic presidencies have been marked by economic prosperity and growth whereas most republican presidencies have been marked by economic stagnation or decrease. Liberal presidencies have been marked with social openness and reform, whereas conservative presidencies have been marked with a sickening constriction to very narrow conservative social views that I largely disagree with. These examples, which I MAKE NO CLAIM constitute the entirety of the issues in this election, begin to illustrate why I voted the way I did.

For those of you who voted McCain, congratulations on getting out the vote. I don't care. But for the purposes of discussion, let's say that I did. If we were to engage in a political discussion, I think that we would both find that NEITHER of us actually completely agrees with the candidate we voted for. But we could agree probably by the end of our discussion that YOU had legitimate reasons for your vote and I had legitimate reasons for mine.

Whether you believe Obama is America's savior, the Antichrist, or just a frustrating oreo (yeah, I said it), that's YOUR opinion. I respect your opinion, so start respecting mine.

As for politics, frankly, I do not care to discuss them with anyone. I have returned to my youthful apathy, and there I intend to stay until 2012 (when the world ends anyway, right?)

Leave. Me. Be.

9 comments:

  1. well said mr. cranky mc crank crank. Always fun to needle the boy until something worth saying is said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The frustration that my generation feels at being coerced into participation in the political system followed by strict criticism of their participation is DIRECTLY causal to its resulting apathy."

    BS.

    I've never been a big fan of someone blaming their behavior on other people, but most of all you need to know that disagreeing with someone is NOT the same as disrespecting their opinion. You should know this more than anyone Zeke, as you have disagreed with, and vehemently argued your point with, people you love and respect your whole life.

    And there is a HUGE difference between criticism of participation and criticism of choice. Any time you are prepared to choose, you must also be prepared to defend your choice.

    The apathy of the younger generation has far more to do with self-absorption and lack of the bigger picture view than it does with the older generation asking them to defend their choices. I should know, as I was once part of that apathetic younger, liberal generation.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But with hard work and a marine by her side she finally saw the light and turned away from her youthful misteps

    ReplyDelete
  4. That, and the fact that you started having kids. I won't ever forget us sitting in your livingroom, picking out editorials to read so we could argue sides. Great fun. :)

    I'm just wondering who else has been giving Zeke a hard time about his choice. Surely one fatherly jibe wouldn't have sent him over the edge. Unless you've been poking him with a stick for a while.

    Be nice to my nephew. I'll post more pics. Ones you didn't know I had. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don’t confuse “people who care” with “people who care only enough to form and vomit up a half-baked opinion”. The former can be fun. Reasonable discourse (and disagreement) on a topic is generally stimulating and intellectually rewarding. It’s also key to forming an opinion, and not simply repeating what some one has told you to think about the topic. Devil's advocates can be useful. I don't need someone to reinforce what I already believe in. I need someone to challenge what I believe in because if I can't believe in my own defense I need to re-evaluate my preconception. Because your opinions will evolve because of time and experience, you will do this your entire life (unless you become apathetic).

    It’s arguing with latter are the ones that probably lead to your frustration – “If you disagree with me, there is obviously something wrong with you”. This isn’t a generational thing it’s a societal thing. It is, I think, more because the people debating seem to have more of a ‘sound bite’ understanding issues these days, than a certain minimum base knowledge of the topic, and some understanding or appreciation of the nuances that exist.

    I think it was Churchill who once said, “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” Whenever some right-wing hyper-patriot or some devoutly left wing union worker spouts “Buy Amurrican!!!”, you just know the ensuing discussion is going to be completely devoid of a basic understanding of things like global trade, how supply/demand curves work and how interest-rate parity and currency fluctuations affect . Both parties need to make a break from the hyper-partisan, pragmatically disabled portion of their bases. You’re best off just smiling at these people and going about your day rather than engaging them in debate.

    Feel free to engage, and disengage, at your leisure but apathy is dangerous to a democracy. There’s too much of that now, and it leads to the very situation you are so frustrated with. Voting is the culminating point in the participation of our democratic system, but a worthy participant will at least be educated and informed enough to hold a view based on a full consideration of the issues.

    The day any elected president follows through on all his or her election promises is the day I'll grow a third arm. And we need to have a longer discussion about the premise of your 5th paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. This has been some great reading.

    I knew I should have gone to college. That chef thing wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to go with Uncle Paul on the 5th paragraph being a topic for longer debate and review. Sweeping generalizations on either side have holes big enough to drive a 15 passanger van through. Just ask three different economists if the New Deal shrank or drew out the depression and you can quickly see the variance of viewpoints. And remember, just because someone has numbers to back them up doesn't mean that they aren't tainted with the spin they wish to present. Statistics are only as reliable as the source and the presenter.

    And I am looking forward to the third arm on Uncle Paul. That would be really cool and handy for a man with two small boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the main problems with being apathetic between presidential elections is that there is so much going on in the intervening years that can make or break you. New laws are being proposed daily and, fortunately or unfortunately depending on the law itself, are being passed. Laws or presidential proclamations decide where your money goes, how you can define or ignore your sexuality, where you spend your next several years (if you are in the military), whether or not you can receive necessary medical treatment and how much you are going to spend in taxes and not on yourself or family. You need to be aware of and respond to the lawmakers in your state when they propose or support certain laws - both in state and in the federal government. Don't wait until the four years are up to decide if Obama did or did not keep his promises. Help him hold his feet to the fire by staying current.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, by the way, I also agree with Laurie. Don't blame your behavior on anyone else. When you decide you are really grown up, you will forgive your mom and dad for the way they raised you and realize that they and the other contacts in your life are really not responsible for the way you turned out. You may not like how you turned out up to that point, but as a grown up, you can work on self change. Having said that, remember that I love you unconditionally.

    Love and kisses and hugs, Grandma T

    ReplyDelete