Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cегодня—медленный день

"Today is a slow day." // "Sevodnya—medlennee den."

Nothing too exciting is happening in the World of Zekiel today, folks. But I figured that I should probably report in, considering I hadn't written in a while. A few things of note:

I'm sans-vehicle for another few days, it turns out. On my way back from Dallas on Friday, the camshaft sensor (they say) went kaput, and so I was towed to a shop in Gainesville (by the way, there's freaking NOTHING in Gainesville except a Holiday Inn, a McDonalds, and a Chili's), where my car currently sits. I took a call this morning, however, from the mechanic, who said that although they've replaced the offending sensor, it's still not turning over, and they aren't sure what the problem is. They're running diagnostics on it today and troubleshooting, so I eagerly (and somewhat apprehensively) await the results of their fiddling. But, just four days without a vehicle has given me a new, very enthusiastic appreciation for having one on campus.

Next thing of note, I'm looking at TA-ing next term for an Intro psych class. I'll get upper-division psych credit toward my major, plus I'll have the experience on my CV, and maybe, if I finnagle it right, I'll get a faculty/staff parking permit out of it. =)

Along those same lines, here's the lineup for next term (tentatively speaking):
  • Advanced Russian
  • Industrial Psychology
  • Research Methods I: Statistics
  • Developmental Psychology
  • Human Sexuality*
  • Beginning Judo*
  • Introduction to Personality
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Beginning Piano
*These classes are subject to change depending on whether I can get major credit for HS, and whether either conflicts with the class I TA if I end up going that route.

And lastly, another little boasting moment: I received an "A" on my National Security Policy midterm (the one I was kind of worried about, actually)! But that's not the great part. The truly great part is that I was also awarded extra credit for two things:
  1. I typed the questions above my the response for each I turned in. Seriously. He gave me extra credit for copying the questions.
  2. We've been discussing, all term, what President Obama was going to call the product of the National Security Council (the name of the document changes practically every administration). No one had bothered to look it up, but I, being the thorough individual I am, decided to Google it, found a Wikipedia page, and threw it into my essay question responses. I was given extra credit AND a "Hat Tip" on the class Web site for being the only person to go and actually find what they were called (In case you're interested, they're called "Presidential Policy Directives"). And people say Wikipedia will never get you anywhere. =)
Okay. I'm done. I have a Russian exam tomorrow, so I'm off to go study. Later.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Zeke! Very impressive. You have quite the passion for details and research.

    I am so sorry that car is causing you so much trouble. I promise you, it's truly been relatively trouble free for us. I didn't even know we had a camshaft, much less a sensor! Has a lot been going wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, actually. This is the first time I think that it's acted up on me.

    ReplyDelete