Saturday, February 14, 2009

*Deep sigh*

So it's really been a while since I last wrote on here, hasn't it? Well, I guess it's also been a while since I last had a nice chunk of time to sit down and type everything out anyway!

So, to recap the past few weeks ... in case anyone hasn't been filled in yet, here's the class line-up for this term:
  • IAS: Global Community
  • P SC: Comparative Politics
  • IAS: National Security Policy
  • PSY: Elements of Psychology
  • SOC: Introduction to Sociology
  • RUSS: Intermediate Russian, Con't
  • PSY: Crisis Intervention
Woo flippin' hoo. That brings the grand total of Hours-Zeke's-In-Class-Per-Week to 21, dear readers. Which, admittedly, to my younger siblings who spend 35 in class, may not seem quite so daunting, but rest assured, little ones, it's no spring picnic. Twenty one hours in college is the kind of thing that drives college students to certain extremes ...

Your move, Professor

But that's what I get, I suppose, for what I'm doing with my degrees. Which, to recap, are as follows:
  • Bachelor of Arts in International and Area Studies: International Security Studies
  • Bachelor of Science in Psychology
  • Minor in Russian Language & Culture
  • Minor in Linguistics
  • Minor in Sociology-Criminology
But lately, I just haven't quite been feeling this particular gaggle of educational goals, and so, before work today, I printed out THIRTEEN degree plans to see how I could rearrange my degrees to also include (and/or replace a degree or two with) Premedical. Granted, there isn't any specific Pre-med program, it's a related degree on a Pre-med track. Either way, I finally narrowed it down to a different set:
  • Bachelor of Arts in International and Area Studies: International Security Studies
  • Bachelor of Science in Psychology
  • Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, Premedical
  • Minor in Russian Language and Culture
  • Minor in Zoology, Premedical
But ALAS! It didn't fit into my next three years. At least, not in a manner that didn't end in a rather tragic and gruesome textbook-related death for yours truly. 

If only he hadn't've taken that last section of Microbial Physiology and Molecular Biology Laboratory

Which has me quite frustrated. I have five years, and I feel kind of like the last 1.5 were a bit of a waste because I wasn't entirely sure which direction I was going. And at this point, another 1.5 years of time would be *marvelous*. I mean, I'm not even DONE with my second year of college yet, and I'm a senior. If I just decided to blow off the other degrees, I could be graduating next SEMESTER with a Bachelor of Arts in ISS. But, alas and alack, I know not if that is the particular career path I really want. Maybe I'm going to drop out of school. I could be an artist ...

I call this one "College Student with Too Many Hours"

Or maybe organized crime. At least the Russian would come in handy there, I suppose. Did you know that the Russian Mafia is THE fastest-growing organized crime unit in the world?


I'll do you this favor on the day of your daughter's wedding, but I expect an "A" in Neuropsychopharmacology in return. 

In fact, while we're on the subject, I recently saw a pretty hilarious movie — Boondock Saints. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's highly entertaining. But suffice it to say that after watching that, I wouldn't mind being a part of the Righteous Irish Catholic sect instead of a perpetual student with zilch direction. 


Tooralooraloo.

Of course, to really pull that off, though. I'd need a brother (not like there's any shortage) who'd be willing to get insanely violent with the unrighteous scum of our planet. Any takers? 

And then again, there's always the piracy option. I mean, granted I'm not exactly into the whole living life aboard a bloody ship with a bunch of insanely unhygienic men, but there is a certain allure to living life sans-boundaries ... 

Anyone else ever notice how Cap'n Sparrow's hair looks almost Medusa-like?

Then again, there are certain benefits, I guess, to having a degree. I mean, higher education is all the rage nowadays. I mean, some artists become fantastically successful in their later years because of their work, and that'd be great to be one of those "artistic types". Then again, that's only if I don't starve first. And though you certainly have job security (well, so long as you're at paygrade "Underboss" and above) in a job with the Mafia, I'd like something I can claim as my occupation on my taxes and such without worrying I've just tipped off something like 25 different government agencies. And though noble in theory, righteously and violently murdering the wicked kind of leaves you in an ambiguous place in the afterlife. And really, pirates are frankly just no longer in vogue. 


Literally. 

Which leaves me back where I started — wondering WHAT ON EARTH I'm going to do with my life. I suppose getting my degree in International Security Studies and a minor in Russian certainly allows for job security (once I find one), since I have a feeling that there's trouble a'brewin', but I don't know that it's *really* the job for me. 


Though the perks could be nice...

Whatever it is, it'd be nice to have left my mark on the world. Which really sounds kind of lofty, but I don't think it's too much to ask for. I don't know *how* that's going to happen, exactly, but whatever it is, I'd like it to be big enough to be remembered. 

Little Bigger. 


There we go. 

Or maybe I'll just change my major entirely. There was someone I knew from a couple of terms ago who said he was doing a few things to become an Air Traffic Controller (and they apparently make beaucoup bucks, you know). 

He majored in One-Armed Flight. 

Well, I guess that all-in-all, so long as I'm getting a degree, I'll be better off. I mean, there *are* worse possibilities, you know ...

Somehow, "Somewhat-Malnourished Artist" doesn't sound so bad anymore...

So for my first masterpiece, I'd like to introduce you to ... 

The Mona Lisa


But alas, I have some homework to do before my shift is up at the dorm tower, so I must leave you, dear reader. 

I shall return to haunt this blog further at a later time...

Adieu. 

7 comments:

  1. Zeke, I know that's you. Give my love to Connie.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hysterical! It is a pretty tough thing to figure out what you want to do w/ your life at such a young age. You'll do great though, no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, I forgot to tell you those pics were great. I especially loved the ones of you on vogue and in the president's office. Love reading your stuff.

    I'm with Mandy. Sometimes too many choices are as rough as no choices. Don't plan your life all out perfectly right now anyway; it's a waste of time because your life will change as you live it and discover new things about yourself; who you are and who you aren't. Make sure you have a wide variety of experiences in the areas you are interested in so you can find out if you like the day to day grind of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and one more thing.

    Perhaps you could be a humor columnist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you find the time to make this novella? Very funny, but you still only get 5 years total on the Dad $$. Nothing but love son, nothing but love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a name like Zekiel Franklin Thaddeus Thomas Johnson, you have to become something special. I, too, loved the picture of you on Vogue and in the boardroom. Loved the picture of your mom as Mona Lisa.

    There is something that I want to leave you with. "Let go of the life that you had planned, and start living the life that you have been given". It will make you happier.

    ReplyDelete