Friday, February 20, 2009

Birthday Wishes

So in a little over a week, I'll be turning 20 (where did the time go?), and I've had a few people already ask me what I want for my birthday. 

Truth be told, I'm not really one of those people that really celebrates birthdays, especially mine. And really, there's nothing that I can think of that I really just can't live without. But, I know that some people won't really like that answer, so here's what I've decided to do. This year, for my birthday, if you must get me something, give to charity. Below is a list you can pick from, or you may have one that you'd rather donate to. But I would consider it just as spectacular a gift if you would spend the money you would have spent on a gift for me on giving to those who are really in need. Just let me know which one you gave to in the card, or whatever, and that can be my gift. 

Here are a few charities whose causes I support:
  • Make a Wish Foundation | Donate
  • Thursday's Child | Donate
  • Human Rights Campaign | Donate
  • National Center for Missing & Exploited Children | Donate
  • American Cancer Association | Donate
  • AIDS Action Foundation | Donate
  • Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America | Donate
  • Dallas is Love | Donate
  • The National Military Family Association | Donate
That's all I really want for my birthday, really. 

Although, I couldn't turn down a gift certificate for a massage, especially a hot-stone massage. That's really the only thing that I can say with any definitiveness I remotely need right now. =)

Thanks, and happy giving.

(PS - if you don't like any of my charities but still want to give, there's a web site that'll make it really easy — www.justgive.org. They have quite a thorough listing of charities to choose from)

3 comments:

  1. How about the Human Fund? Look it up.

    Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago when I got the call that you were arriving. I was in Columbia at the time, and still remember making the drive to KC to be there in time for the arrival. I was actually a little early, as I barged into the room before everything was finished, unaware there was a waiting room for folks like me (that's how much I knew about birthing babies then)

    I'd like to think my early involvement is what made you who you are today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) Probably so, Uncle Paul.

    And if you care to make a donation to the Human Fund, I'm sure they'd be happy to receive your charity. The Cleavland-based youth charity OR the Seinfeldian philanthropist movement. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm personally a big fan of Festivus myself.

    Paul, that's a funny story. I never knew that happened.

    I remember wondering why Lisa couldn't talk to me on the phone as long as she used to. OI!

    ReplyDelete