Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rock the Wall

Hay everyone!
For starters I'm starting to get in to an argument with my itunes. I think how lucky I am to have so many close friends it plays 'my friend misery' and 'nobody likes you'. I wonder how John (a guy from the navy I met in an airport that took me out to eat.) is doing, it plays the 'single ladies' and 'single 07 mix' fallowed by 'got to find you'. I wonder about band, it plays 'drummer boy'. I sit down to do homework and put my nose back to the grind stone, it plays 'dancing through life.'
Really itunes?

Any way back to the point of the post. Yesterday I competed at JMU at a rockwall show down....when I only found out the day before that I was going. Yeah, I hadn't been able to pay to go so WAC sponsored me for a HOP trip.
And JMU's wall eats ours for lunch! It's all natural mountain cliff locking with cracks and little cliffs and spots. And it has a boldering cave built into the side! What the heack!? Come on Hollins, we need to upgrade out wall!
Anyway I competed in the beginner level, and in order to make the skill of the climber you couldn't just scurry up the wall. Oh No! You must use the routes! they were all numbered 1-12. The skill leval of the routs were also 5.0 to 5.12ish. I thought 2 ment 5.o2. No.
It was the hardest wall in my class! I went on that one first! Gurrrrr. Didn't make it to the top, but when I got stuck on the tiny cliff I was 2 thirds of the way up so I got points for that. I then went on to rout 6. I could have made it up that one but I couldn't see the other little rock that I needed to put my foot on! And it was the same move I use to get up clock on our wall! It was the same wall gymnastic splits I do ever other night! If I had just seen that little rock!
I should now mention that I was only allowed to fall five times before I had to stop climbing for points, and every time I fall I have to come all the way down and pick to start again or move on.
So I climbed about and after my 5 falls I scurried up a few walls for the fun of it. Their wall is really fun to just climb when your not mentally cursing the colored tape and rocks, and then you can get up to the top of alot of them. Still couldn't get up the wall that had 2 on it! Next year I will have my revenge on wall 2!!
I think it was two that gave me the scrapes and bruises on my knees, and we we're forbidden to paw the wall with our foot, or put any weight on our feet outside of marked areas, such as rocks or boxed off peaces of wall, I I used my knees. Not sure what wall cut my fingers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2. They all made my hands hate me and turn all red and sore.
I was a ton of fun and I'm so going back next year.
2 and I have somethings to settle.

1 comment: